Your Company of Choice in Risk Management. Find out more →

What Is a Neps Student Transfer Form

Schools that do not have a NEPS service can use the Scheme for Commissioning Psychological Assessment (SCPA). This is a transitional measure to fund schools to address the urgent need for psychological counselling, while the NEPS service will be extended to all schools. Only psychologists on the current list are allowed to perform work under the SCPA system. More information on the Scheme for Commissioning Psychological Assessment (SCPA) is available. NePS cannot compensate you if you are a parent who has ordered a private psychological assessment. In this case, you can claim a tax reduction on medical expenses after the end of the year. For more information, visit the Revenue website. If the student against whom the technology is sanctioned changes schools, including the orientation of the primary school, new school or school that has been sanctioned, the technology should consult the visiting SENO/teacher about its transfer with the student if it is still adapted to the assessed needs of the student. This ensures that there is no gap in student support and that the student can continue to use appropriate and familiar resources in their new environment. In 2013, the National Council for Special Education (NCSE) published a research report on the experiences of young students with special educational needs (SEN) and their parents during the transition from primary to secondary primary school – “A study on the transition from primary to post-primary school for students with special educational needs” [PDF, 536 KB]. However, some of the approved devices are specialized and individualized in nature and may not be suitable for other students in the school.

In such circumstances, it is not effective to keep this equipment in a school if the student for whom the equipment has been approved moves to a new school and would have to be approved for similar equipment in the new school at a significant cost. Schools should act in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Acts (1998 and 2003) regarding the management of information about individual pupils. In 2003, the Ministry of Education and Science sent a consultative communication to schools informing them of their obligations under this legislation and indicating that a written directive on data protection should be introduced. The Data Protection Officer has prepared a guide for data controllers (PDF – 109 KB) and an informal guide to data protection legislation, which can be found here. Maintaining the technology may be considered if the technology is outdated, no longer meets the needs of the transferred student, or if another child is enrolled and for whom the school would apply to SENO for the same technology. Circular DES 0056/2011 – First steps in the implementation of the National Strategy for Literacy and Numeracy [PDF, 139KB] – refers to the transfer of assessment information between schools, for example when students move to another primary school or are transferred to a secondary school. The transition process can be facilitated by activities carried out by the post-primary school before the student`s initiation and by continuous support after induction. The National Literacy and Numeracy Strategy, School Self-Assessment and the Undergraduate Framework are closely linked and work together. At everyone`s heart is the desire to improve learning, teaching and assessment. School self-assessment as a process aims to improve learning, help schools implement the changes outlined in the Literacy and Numeracy Strategy, and prepare and implement a reformed curriculum for the junior cycle. Linking the three aspects of reform will help change not only what we teach and evaluate, but also the way we teach and evaluate, in order to improve learning outcomes.

It is important for schools to note that resources are not automatically transferred from primary school to post-primary school and that new requests may need to be made by the host post-primary school. The National Council for Special Education (NCSE) is responsible for resource allocation and more information can be found on the NCSE website or from the local Special Education Needs Organizer (SENO). Full information on this issue can be found in Circular 0010/2013 “Grant Programme for the Purchase of Essential Assistive Technology Equipment for Students with Physical or Communicative Disabilities” [PDF, 3.8Mb]. Below you will find some of the relevant information from the circular: You can get a NEPS information brochure for parents (pdf). The National Council for Curriculum and Assessment (NCCA) has developed a range of materials to support the communication and transfer of information about students from primary to post-primary schools. The transition from primary to post-primary school can be a stressful event for all students and their parents, and this can be exacerbated if the child has special educational needs. The need for flexibility to adapt to this transition, especially if the student has a particular need, is noted in the Introduction to the Primary Curriculum (PDF – 2.35 MB). For more information on how NEPS services work, see the working together to make a difference for children (pdf) brochure on the DE website.

For more information on the transition from primary to post-school, see the “Guidelines” for student inclusion in SEN, which can be downloaded here Many primary and post-primary schools already have excellent practices in place to support students at various transition points. For example, a particular post-primary school teacher may visit the primary school to discuss issues and exchange information about the transition to post-primary schools. In many cases, a member of the special needs team and/or a one-year leader can communicate with parents of students with special educational needs before making the transition to post-primary school. To minimize the potential challenges that may accompany the transition to post-primary, transition planning should begin at least early in the sixth grade. Taking the steps described below can minimize students` anxiety and alleviate their difficulties regarding the transition period. Typically, you apply for NEPS services through your child`s school principal. Contact information for NEPS offices can be found below under “Where to Apply”. Belonging Plus+ is a transition and transfer program implemented by partner schools in the first year of study. The program is tailored to the specific needs of each school.

This resource with sample modules and activities is available for download. The reasons for the assessment should be discussed and each section of the Declaration of Consent to the Psychological Assessment – Form 1 (pdf) should be explained before parents are invited to sign the form. Many high schools hold open days for their arriving students and their parents. Providing specific information, including details on the physical layout of schools, teachers` roles, schedules, lockers, curriculum, school policies and procedures, and extracurricular activities, can be particularly useful for students with special educational needs. Specific introductory activities in the first few weeks of the semester, led by peer mentors, are especially important for students with special educational needs. Organizing parenting and welcoming sessions during the first semester of the first year provides an important forum for parents to share information and a foundation on which to build relationships. In addition, many schools organize information events at the beginning of the school year to facilitate the exchange of relevant information about the special educational needs of each student with teachers of the subject. Reading and dyslexia – Shared/paired reading at home Language skills – 24 consonant sounds List of graphemes Support for children with a specific learning disability Dyslexia Affiliation Plus – Transition and Transfer Program (NBSS, now NCSE Support Service) NEPS Sensory activities Classroom Stategies Primary school The admission policy of a school must comply with applicable legislation: for example, the Education Act (1998) (PDF – 170 KB), which Equality Act (2000) (PDF – 111 KB) and Education Act (Social Welfare Act) (2000). The Department of Education and Skills (DES) has published a brochure entitled Schools and the Equal Status Act (PDF – 221 KB), which can be downloaded here and can be useful. .